wall switch/outlet

Old 11-11-01, 11:56 AM
J
jujusma
Visiting Guest
Jaye here, In my MBR water closet I have a light/fan switch
only, no outlet! Therefore instead the convenience of a quiet nightlight in the middle of the night, the whole fan and bright light comes on announcing my location.
I found, in HD, a switch replacement that has an outlet option! Yay, or so I thought. After attempting to wire it up 20 different ways, all I have now is a night light. I was able to power the fan/light but only on constant power. I have snapped off the bridge. Now knowing exactly what (2) circuits really means, I've rebridged it with a 3" loop of covered copper. Do I need to just get another? Do you know of the simple solution I'm overlooking? I do have 2 bundles so I know I'm in mid-circuit. Hopefully you're laughing, that would mean you've got the magic words. Jaye

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-01, 12:33 PM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
YOu should have three brass screw and one green screw on that sw/rec combo device. When you removed your tab between two of those screws you just cut the power source to your switch.

In your box connect all the whites together adding a white pigtail which then also connects to the silver screw of the receptacle. connect all your bare or green wires together and again install a pigtail and connect it to the green screw of your receptacle. Then connect all the blacks together except the black going to the fan. Leave it loose in the air for now. In that wire nut you connected all the blacks together except for that black fan wire also connect in that wire nut with the other blacks two black pigtails. Then connect the two black pigtails to the two brass screws not mattering which pigtail goes to which screw as long as they are on the same side. Now that last black wire going to the fan should connect to the one single brass screw on the oppisite side of the switch than the other brass screws.

You should have it then

Let us know how you come out.

Good Luck

Wg