Adding outside lighting to open receptacle

Old 11-12-01, 02:09 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to "piggy bacK" into an open receptacle box that comes off my pool light. I want to add an outdoor spotlight. My Question is if I do this and don't add a separate switch, will it go on and off by the current pool light switch? If I wanted to be able to turn each on and off separately I would have to add a sep switch correct?? How would I do that? I think I know how but would like some advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-01, 04:19 AM
W
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
It is forbidden by the NEC in Chapter 6 to add a normal outside light or anything else to a circuit serving an underwater pool light. This receptacle may be a violation also if it is no with an underwater pool light. The only equipment allowed on an underwater pool light is a GFI device protecting that underwater light and a switch controlling that underwater light.

If this pool light is not an underwater light then I suspect you have a switch somewhere after that recptacle to control that accessory pool light. Remember any accessory lighting associated to a pool must be a minimum of 5' away from the pool and GFI protected if within 10' of that pool water's edge.

If you are tapping from a receptacle you normally would have to install a switch to control that new light. You could tap from an accessory light fixture at the fixture to get a switch controlled power source equal to the light fixture.

Let us know what you have. Then we can get more info for you.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-12-01, 02:09 PM
G
Visiting Guest
adding outside lighting

this is for an under water pool light. there is nothing currently attached to the outlet box coming out of the ground. That is what I was going to tap into. It is closed off by a flat plate.
So, I guess from your letter, I can't tap into it.

Thanks for your prompt response!!!!