Running electrical wire below joists

Old 11-12-01, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Are their any reasons why you shouldn't run electrical wires below the basement joists instead of drilling holes in them and going through them? I am thinking about doing this since the ceiling will not be finished. The wires will be fastened to the joist at each joist location. I live in Macomb County, Michigan if it matters.

Is is code to run it below the joists?
Is there any reason other than building codes where you would or wouldn't want to do this?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-12-01, 10:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can run them below the joists if you want, but only if you install a running board. Nail a 1x2 to the bottom of the joists, run the cable along the 1x2, and staple the cable to the 1x2. The idea is to protect the cable from physical damage.

I believe that this rule is not applicable if the ceiling is under a certain height, or if there is a suspended ceiling below the wires.

And of course this method of running the cable will frustrate any future efforts to finish the basement.

Old 11-12-01, 10:36 AM
Visiting Guest
The ceiling height is 6'11" in the area where the wire will run.

It's in a location that isn't practical to finish due to the run of the HVAC. The HVAC runs the length of the house starting at 16" from the outside wall. The wire will be located in this area. The ducting drops the celiing height to 6'1". For all practial purposes the last 4' (16" plus 3' of ducting) is not practical to finish anyway. For this reason, I walled off the area from the outside of the HVAC ducts to the wall and turned it into a storage area. This creates a long room about 5' wide the entire length of the house. The electrical will provide the outlets where I will install shoplites to illuminate this storage area.

Do you think I need a runner with a 6'11" ceiling?

Thanks Much,
Dan

Old 11-12-01, 04:00 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John was incorrect on the ceiling hieght limitation to this rule. The Romex must be installed along the framing member or bored through the framing member or installed along a running board. Now if you have a band board along the wall this could be your running board. Otherwise you need to nail on a running board or bore holes to run the Romex through the framing members. This running board requirement is even still an active rule in a crawl space.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-12-01, 04:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for your excellent advice. A running board it is.

Dan

Old 11-13-01, 05:14 AM
dons
Visiting Guest
Is a running board also needed if there is a drop ceiling that conceals the wiring?

Old 11-13-01, 07:17 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The NEC forbids Romex to be supported by the suspended ceiling itself. Yes the running board or parallel to lumber is required above ceilings also.

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: