Receptical to Switch to Light to Receptical

Old 11-16-01, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Receptical to Switch to Light to Receptical

Hi, I'm trying to wire my basemant for a light and recepticals, plus a switch. Right now there there is absolutely nothing! I started with a receptical first (so my security system would always be on).
My main problem is how to run my wire (14/2) from the first receptical, up to a switch, then to a light (controled by that switch), then on to more recepticals.
I've done some wireing in the past, and have no problem wiring the recepticals, I just can't figure out the recptical to switch to light thing. Also my first receptical I pulled out the tab so the top 1/2 would always be on as my security system is pluged into it.
Please help, I'm going crazy trying to figure it out!

Old 11-17-01, 02:49 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you want to control the light fixture or fixtures by the switch but leave all the receptacles on all the time just run your 14/2 from you power source to the first receptacle then to the second receptacle then the third receptacle and so on Then where you want to install the light switch run a 14/2 from the nearest receptacle to the light switch. Then also run a 14/2 from that light switch to the light fixture.

Connect each receptacle that has two romexes in the receptacle box by wirenutting the bare grounds together installing a single bare pigtail also from that wire nut to the green screw of the receptacle. Then look at the receptacle connecting the two black wires to the brass screws and connect the two white wires to the silver screws. Leave the tab in between the screws. Then to wire the switch and light fixture look at the wiring schematic below;

http://homewiring.tripod.com/basiiclightswitchsw.html

If you want to wire the receptacles 1/2 switched and 1/2 hot then you need to come back in and tell us then we will regroup. If you desire to do the 1/2 switched 1/2 hot receptacles then you will need to run 14/3wGrnd.

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: