3 wire dryer plug

Old 11-27-01, 01:25 PM
jn
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 wire dryer plug

Our dryer outlet box is wired with 10-3 and a ground (30 Amp 220 Volt). The dryer came prewired with a 3 wire connector instead of 4 wire. I have a 3 wire receptacle, my question is, do I connect the white wire or the bare wire to the 3rd post on the 3 wire jack? (I know the 2 connections for power but wasn't sure what to put on the 3rd lug).

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-01, 01:32 PM
jn
Our dryer outlet box is wired with 10-3 and a ground (30 Amp 220 Volt). The dryer came prewired with a 3 wire connector instead of 4 wire. I have a 3 wire receptacle, my question is, do I connect the white wire or the bare wire to the 3rd post on the 3 wire jack? (I know the 2 connections for power but wasn't sure what to put on the 3rd lug).

I double posted in case the site isn't posting new threads yet...
Is the site fixed so this double post is unnecessary?

Old 11-27-01, 06:07 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
If you have a four wire branch circuit then you must install a four prong receptacle, no matter whether you have an old dryer or new dryer.

If you bought a new dryer and they sent a three wire pigtail on the dryer tell the appliance store that you need a four wire pigtail on your dryer to meet NEC requirements.

If you have to exchange the three wire pigtail to a four wire pigtail yourself then you should find a green jumper wire inside the dryer that connects between the silver screw located in the center of the dryer's terminal block. The other end of that green jumper connects to the metal frame of the dryer. Remove this green jumper in that dryer. Install your four wire pigtail connecting the black and red wire of the pigtail to the two outside brass screws on the terminal block then connect the white wire of the pigtail to the center screw of the terminal block and then connect the green wire of the pigtail to the green screw on the metal shell of the dryer.

If you have a 4 wire branch circuit conductor you are required by the NEC to also install the four prong dryer receptacle and the four wire pigtail.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 11-28-01, 07:58 AM
jn
OK, Consider it done. Thanks for the NEC knowledge. I was going to proceed the wrong way because I already had 3 wire stuff in my box of tricks. But a trip to the store is in the plan now. I assume that the stove/micro rules are the same so I'll be buying a couple of 4 wire pigtails and 4 wire receptacles....Thanks again Warren!