adding recessed lights

Old 11-27-01, 01:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
adding recessed lights

I want to install recessed lights in my basement, but do not know if the circuit that I want to tie into can handle the load. The circuit has a 15 amp breaker and the current load on it contains 3 wall outlets (one with a t.v. and vcr), 3 smoke detectors, a ceiling fan, and a 75 watt hall light. I would like to add a maximum of 6 - 75 watt recessed cans on two separate dimmer switches. Can this 15 amp breaker handle the load? I wanted to tap into power from an outlet that has two lines ( 2 white, 2 black ) connected to the back of the outlet. Is this an adequate source, or should I tap into another location?

Old 11-27-01, 06:14 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You would be pulling approximately 1/4 the amp capacity of that 15 amp branch circuit. Considering the loads known the circuit would carry the load you are adding. The unknown is what are you going to plug into those other receptacles? That would be a question you should consider. This unknown load plugged into the convenience oultlets may cause the breaker to trip. You should not have a safety concern. The NEC allows the additional lighting load to be applied to that 15 amp circuit. Bad news is if you plug a vacuum cleaner into one of those convenience outlets while what you have listed is running you may pop your breaker.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 11-27-01, 07:50 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Here are some numbers for you:
  • A 15-amp circuit can supply 1800 watts.
  • A television, depending on screen size, uses 80 to 180 watts (let's say 130, which is what my 32" uses).
  • A VCR is cheap at about 30 to 40 watts.
  • A ceiling fan is cheap too, about 72 watts on high, plus the lights.
  • A smoke detector is barely detectable, about 6 watts each.
So the stuff you listed only uses about 335 of those 1800 watts (assuming your ceiling fan does not have a light kit). This leaves you with 1465 watts to spare. Six 75-watt bulbs is only 450, which still leaves over 1000 watts unaccounted for. That's quite a bit, but as Wg said, it may not be enough for a vacuum cleaner if everything else is on (although 800 watts is typical for a vacuum cleaner). But you probably don't vacuum when watching TV anyway.

Old 11-28-01, 12:27 PM
R
Thanks for your quick response. The other question I had was about the outlet that I wanted to tap into. In that configuration as described above, is the outlet acting as a junction? Can I connect the two existing lines, add the new line, and then pig tail to the outlet? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-28-01, 01:05 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes and yes

Old 11-29-01, 04:30 AM
B
Better to have separate circuit for lights

Even though you may have the capacity on the circuit, I'd still install a new circuit for the lights. Otherwise, if you trip the breaker or the GFCI for the outlets, you'd be left in the dark. That's not a good idea in a basement.

Who knows what you'd want to plug in later. A space heater draws a lot, some microwaves draw a bit of power.

While your at it, consider a small emergency light by the steps. They're only about $40. I've got one. Its only been used three times in the past few years, but I was glad it was there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: