outlets

Old 12-02-01, 08:21 AM
Visiting Guest
outlets

I am running three outlets in a series on a switch, only the switch is at the end of the circuit. When I flip the switch on the breaker kicks out. Did I wire this right?

Old 12-02-01, 08:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is another guy named puzzled that has the same problem you do. Isn't that amazing.

This is an exceptionally common mistake. It is one of the reasons I never wire a switch at the end of the line.

The problem is that your switch has only a black and a white. The switch connects them, thereby shorting out the power.

The wiring for this is simple when you are only controlling one receptacle or light. But it is much more complicated when controlling more than one.

You have two choices to fix this:[list=1][*]Replace the 12/2 between the receptacles with a 12/3. This way, you have separate wires to carry the power to the switch and the power back from the switch.[*]Wire this up switching only one receptacle first and then wire the other receptacles to this one. Note that you'll need to attach the black power wire to the white wire to the switch to make this happen. The black power wire does not connect directly to any receptacles.[/list=1]I hope you now see what your problem is. My explanation was pretty terse. If you need more, let us know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: