flourescent shop light

Old 12-05-01, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Unhappy flourescent shop light

I have a cheap ft.shop light with a couple of bad capacitor's
it has 2 transformers and two capacitors one on each end of the fixture . My question is what is the rating of the caps for a double 25 watt fixture???
Old 12-06-01, 02:07 AM
jn is offline
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 217
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've never seen capacitors used on florescent lights...not to say that there aren't. Can you see any numbers or text on the existing parts that might give you a clue. Capacitors are rated in Farads and sometimes you can see a number like 104K (which would convert to 10 and 4 more zero's or 10000 or 100 microfarads). Or sometimes there will be a number like 100 followed by a cursive "U" and than a f (uf) ....100uf standing for microfarad so in this example also 100 microfarad. Or sometimes a number followed by an F...like 10F...standing for 10 Farad.
I have seen cutoff parts in florescent. They look kind of like caps but usually have a reset button on them.
I guess I would start by analyzing any info that could be found on the part and then post back with that and the manufacturer and model # or any info about what you have and your odds of getting help might inprove from there.
Old 12-06-01, 03:00 AM
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Calgary Canada
Posts: 690
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The parts you may be looking at could be starters for the lamps they were common a few years ago and do look something like a round capasitor. They more or lest kick start the lamps. the rates and code numbers should be on the side of them.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: