Wall switch

Old 12-09-01, 05:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Wall switch

I have a wall switch in my bathroom that I want to replace. When I pulled it out of the wall, I saw 3 black wires connected to the switch and 3 white wires in the back of the box connected to each other (with a wire nut).

Is this normal?

The instructions on the new switch indicate a single black and white wire?

Do I need to get a different switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-01, 05:30 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If two of the wires were under the same screw, then you can use this switch and just mathch the wires up on the new switch screw for screw.

Old 12-09-01, 06:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most likely, you won't see two wires under the same screw, but will see one wire under a screw and another wire using the push-in connector next to the screw. These two wires are connected to each other inside the switch (regardless of switch position).

Here's my recommendation.[list][*]Leave the white wires alone -- don't even touch them.[*]It would be better to use a pigtail on the two black wires. But this will require that you buy a yellow wire nut and a 3-inch section of black wire. This black wire may be 14-gauge if the light is protected by a 15-amp breaker, or a 12-gauge if protected by a 20-amp breaker.
  1. Disconnect the two black wires that are connected as indicated above.
  2. Strip 5/8" of insulation off both ends of the 3-inch wire.
  3. Connect these two wires, together with the 3-inch wire, with a wire nut.
  4. Connect the other end of the 3-inch wire to one of the screws on the switch (not the green screw).
  5. Disconnect the remaining wire from the old switch and reconnected to the other non-green screw on the new switch.
  6. Connect the grounding wire to the green screw.[/list=1]
  7. If you don't want to mess with the 3-inch wire and the wire nut, you can wire the new switch just like the old (using the push-in and screw). But this is an inferior solution.
Pack the wires very carefully back in the box.