3-way switch question

Old 12-11-01, 08:06 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 3-way switch question

I am having a problem with a new 3-way switch. I have power coming into a switch(14-2) I have the black going to common, white tied to white of 14-3 wire going to the other switch. the remaining 2 wires(black and red), I have going to the other two screws. In the next switch box, I have the same red and black to the two screws with the black from the light fixture going to the common(black) screw, and the whites again tied together. When switch # 1 is "on", switch #2 works as it should, when switch #1 is "off" switch #2 does not turn the light on. If I switch the red and black on switch #1, the same thing happens in reverse. What is wrong here? The only thing I have different here than other 3-ways is my hot wire in is spliced to supply a hot wire to another 1 pole switch in the same junction box......HELP!
Keegan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-01, 09:43 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wiring you describe is correct. Therefore, the actual wiring must not be as you describe.

I believe that you have misidentified the common screw on one of the switches.

Old 12-12-01, 03:59 AM
G
Visiting Guest
Thanks John
I still don't know how I mismatched that commom wire feeding the light, but when switched it all works perfectly. That switch was from a 3 switch junction box(many, many wires!). I wish sometimes I had a larger box to stuff all those wires into. It is amazing how many can actually make it in there though. Thanks for the help!
Keegan