Help halogen track lights blew!!!!

Old 12-11-01, 11:12 AM
qst4sno
Visiting Guest
Red face Help halogen track lights blew!!!!

Recently I replaced standard incandescent tracklighting that was on a dimmer, with low voltage halogen track lighting. The guy at a certain home improvement store told me that I would need a different dimmer that had a low voltage transformer in it. I bought one that he recommended for about $10 and went ahead and installed everything. Worked fine for about 2 months until it blew the breaker and now won't work at all. I asked a different guy at the same store and he said that the item that i need they've never sold and would cost me about $60 from an electical store. Can anybody out there help me find what i need.

Old 12-11-01, 04:53 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Check you manufacturing instructions. Most low voltage lighting is approved by the manufacturer to use a normal dimmer on the 120 volt side of your transformer.

The dimmer you bought if not approved for use as you installed it may have failed or caused the transformer to have failed.

You also can overload the transformer with too many lights on hte load side of that transformer.

Just some ideas that may help

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: