GFI outlet won't reset

Old 03-02-13, 10:12 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry GFI outlet won't reset

Well, where to start. I noticed at first my garage door stopped working, all power to it was off. I have only one outlet in my garage and it is an GFI outlet and the garage door is plugged into it. My kitchen is located right behind the wall and the outlets in there are dead as well. There is one GFI outlet in kitchen as well. I had a friend who is electrician come out last night and he couldn't figure out why it was tripping, one in garage. When he took old GFI outlet out from garage, he found that it wasn't grounded and there was a ground wire there, so when he put new GFI in he made sure the ground wire was included. That seemed to work at the time, but I woke up this morning and its off again and won't reset. What could my problem be? Could the cold weather be making it mess up like this?

Old 03-02-13, 10:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Do you have access to an analog multimeter? ($10 at HD). It would help to be able to diagnose how extensive this outage is. Often there are hidden GFCI's behind boxes, under crawlspaces, etc. Having two or more GFCI's daisy chained can cause problems as well. The garage GFCI should not be on the same circuit as the kitchen GFCI's, so there's a problem to begin with. Let us know when you are ready to test these things.

Old 03-02-13, 10:55 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Will the garage GFCI reset if you unplug the garage door opener. Does the garage GFCI have a cable on the load side. If so will it work if you disconnect the cable on the load side?

Also please answer Chandleer's question: Is the garage GFCI on the same breaker as the the kitchen GFCIs?

he found that it wasn't grounded and there was a ground wire there, so when he put new GFCI in he made sure the ground wire was included
A ground wire is not required for a GFCI to work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: