220 hook-up

Old 12-16-01, 08:13 AM
Visiting Guest
220 hook-up

Hello folks, I am hoping someone can help me.
While I'm not necessarily a rookie at home wireing, this is a new one by me, and I'm somewhat stumped.
I am installing a radiant style cook top in place of my old induction coil style. The new cook top has a 3 wire pig-tail on it (red, black, bare copper) with a flexable metal cover. Coming into the junction box, I have 4 wire ( black, white, red, bare copper)
There is no visible grounding attachment on the chassis of the cook top, but a green screw is visible (inaccessable on the inside of the unit).
My question is, how do I wire this little gem in?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lee

Old 12-16-01, 07:49 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hope someone else has a good reply for you.

I strongly suggest you if you have bk, r, w, bare on one end, you have the same on the other, unless the white has somehow been either previously connected somehow, cut off, or has slid down the sheild. Theoretically, you dont need the white, but they use the 4 prong as kind of double safety to each side of the 110vac circuit since most entrance wiring from the electrical company uses neutral and ground off the same wire.

Frankly, can't understand the connection to your panel. You should have a 3 or 4 prong receptacle adjacent to your cooktop that wires to the breaker panel, and the burner tail is plugged to that, in fact, I believe the electrical code demands it.

To do anything other than making sure that cooktop is grounded adequately is unsafe.

Perhaps if you were more specific someone could help you more accurately.

Old 12-17-01, 09:43 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Your cooktop if it is new and it came with only a black, red and bare conductor in its whip you have a cooktop that has all its components ran on 220 volt without the use of a white neutral wire. Your branch circuit is wired to be capable of a free standing range etc. if that branch circuit is 8 awg copper or bigger with two hots a neutral and a grounding conductor, this branch circuit will most likely have a 40 to a 60 amp double pole breaker serving that branch circuit. If you have a branch circuit that is 10 awg or even 12 awg then that branch circuit is designed for a cooktop only. Problem is to the electrician that he or she does not know what brand cooktop you plan to buy so he or she prepared you for either style cook top. Some cooktops use 120 volt and some cooktops use only 220 volts.

If you have an 8 awg or bigger branch circuit connecting to that cooktop be sure to downsize the breaker in the panel to a maximum of 30 amps.

If you have a 10 awg branch circuit then make sure it also has a 30 amp breaker protecting that circuit

If you have a 12 awg branch circuit then make sure it has a 20 amp breaker protecting that circuit.

When you wire you 4 wire branch circuit to your 3 wire whip from the cooktop then install a wire nut on that white wire of the branch circuit and fold it into the box for future use if ever needed. The black and red wires match in colors and the bare or green wires connect together mixing the green and bares under the same wirenut.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 12-17-01, 12:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna hook it up tonight.

Leejac

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: