New Light Fixture in existing circut NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Old 12-20-01, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
New Light Fixture in existing circut NEED HELP ASAP!!!

I have a new light that I wish to add a new switch for. I have the wires run and in place with the light hooked up.

The box that I want to put the switch in has a empty space, 2 cables to it and a switch (/w 2 black going to switch and the 2 white connected to each other) I know I can piggy back off of this switch to power the new light but I am unsure of how to make the connections.

I have added the third cable from the new light so the box has 1 switch and 3 cables now.

Do I just need to pig tail off the whites and the hot black?

please help!

Sean Raymond.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-01, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pretty basic.

Just add your third white wire to the two white wires already there. The wire nut will probably accommodate it.

Connect your third ground to the other grounds and to both switches with pigtails.

Connect your new black wire to one of the two screws on the new switch.

Here's where it gets a little bit tricky. You need to disconnect one of the two black wires on the exsiting switch. Connect this wire to two pigtails (3" sections of wire) with a new wire nut. Then connect the pigtails, one to each switch.

But you ask, "which one of the two black wires do I disconnect from the existing switch?"

Try it both ways. Only one way will work correctly.

Old 12-20-01, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much... That is the way I thought it should be but I just wanted to check with an outside source before I actually made the connections.

I'll let you know when I get it all up and working!!