New wall switch no longer operates connected receptacle

Old 12-21-01, 06:31 AM
camlag30
Visiting Guest
New wall switch no longer operates connected receptacle

I recently replaced the switches and receptacles in my home with new decora ones. In two of the rooms, a wall switch operates the receptacle into which I have lamps plugged. The one room is fine but the other is not. I have power in the receptacle but the wall switch no longer turns the power on or off. What did I do wrong? I reonnected the wires the same way that I removed them.

Old 12-21-01, 07:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This receptacle was only half-switched (one half always live and one half controlled by the switch), right? You didn't break out the tab on the brass-screw side of the receptacle. If you still have the receptacle you removed, compare it carefully to the new receptacle and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-21-01, 07:28 AM
camlag30
Visiting Guest
I know the brass tab that you are referring to. I originally left the tab intact, but when the switch didn't work, I removed it. Should I have left it on? I tried to switch the black and red wires before I broke it off and that didn't work either. I have the white wire connected to the silver screw, the black wire connected to bottom brass screw and the red wire to the top brass screw..help!!

Old 12-21-01, 04:10 PM
J
So you broke off the tab on the brass-screw side, but left the tab intact on the silver-screw side. Is this correct?

And is/was the receptacle half-switched as I asked you in my prior post?

Did you mess with any wires that were connected to each other with wire nuts but not connected to the switch or receptacle?

Old 12-22-01, 06:26 AM
camlag30
Visiting Guest
You were correct that the receptacle is half switched. I did break the tab on the brass side and left the tab on the silver side intact.

In the receptacle box, there are only three wires, red, white and black. There are no other wires in the box at all. Now in the switch receptacle, there were those three wires connected to the original switch as well as several wires that are connected together I assume to complete the circuit. I didn't touch any wires except for the ones that were connected. I even tried to reconnect the old switch and plug to see if the switch would work again and it does not. Is it possible that one of the wires may have broken inside of its casing from being bent back into place?

Old 12-22-01, 09:39 AM
J
Your receptacle wiring sounds correct. So now I suspect the wiring at the switch. Please provide details of all the wires and all the connections in the switch box. There is a possibility of a broken wire, but I consider that possibility remote.

Old 12-27-01, 05:08 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Is it just that receptical switched like that, or were others
also wired like that, in which case you will get the same
symptom.

Old 12-27-01, 06:02 AM
camlag30
Visiting Guest
There were two other switches hooked up to receptacles the same way and they both work fine. The details of the multiple wires in the switch box are as follows: a black and a red hooked up to switch, the black is joined to 3 other black wires, the red is alone, there are 3 whites and 3 grounds each group of which are connected to each other but not to the switch.

Old 12-27-01, 11:05 AM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
See if the bottom outlet is switched.

Old 12-28-01, 01:12 AM
camlag30
Visiting Guest
HOORAY!! I figured it out..the answer was simple but hidden. The infamous non working switched receptacle was hooked up in series with the switch and ANOTHER switched receptacle that I never use. I simply broke the tab off the other receptacle and presto! Both switched receptacles work like a charm! Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: