Lights cause TV interferance

Old 12-22-01, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Lights cause TV interferance

I recently completed my basement. Everything seemed fine until I turned on my new TV to find horizontal lines moving vertically through my screen.

I did some experimenting and found that it only occurs when I have the basement lights on (TV also in basement). The TV is on its own breaker. The basement lights are their own breaker. There are 6 lights on a three-way dimmer switch.
Can someone please help with a possible solution.

Old 12-23-01, 02:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question type of light fixtures

Bobby634,
What type of light fixtures are these? Are they flourescent, or some type with ballast(s)/transformer(s)?
Is the 3-way dimmer switch new? (controoling the new lighting in the basement?

We need to know more information about the changes that were made to attempt pinpointing the source of the problem(s).

gj

Old 12-23-01, 02:34 PM
Is the dimmer a new type of solid state dimmer or an older dial type. Do the lines go away, when the switch is set to full light or only when it is dimming. Try to eliminate one item at a time. Put in a regular switch and see if it is the dimmer. If not then move on to the lights, depending on what type they are.

Old 12-24-01, 10:48 AM
Visiting Guest
About the lights

Thanks for the replies...

The fixtures are all recessed lights in the ceiling - all Halogen's (50w). No special ballast or transformers were used. There is a standard 3-way switch at the top of the stairway and a dimmer at the bottom. They control a total of 6 lights in the basement. They are on a dedicated circuit. All of it is new. The dimmer is also new.

I'm fairly sure it's the dimmer; I changed it to a standard 3-way switch and the lines were drastically reduced. I tried changing to a different model of dimmer and it had no effect. When the dimmer is turned up and down, the lines change their speed on the TV.

At the place where I bought the TV, they said I might want to try an AC filter. I don't even know what an AC filter is. Is this a possible solution? I'm certain that all the cable connections are good. The cables and connectors are all new and secure.

Old 12-24-01, 05:28 PM
P
Just a thought but, did you cross the neuturals of the two circuits together somewhere in the circuit?

Just a thought

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: