flickering lights

Old 12-27-01, 02:11 PM
Visiting Guest
flickering lights

For the past several months, I have had a ceiling fan / light fixture that would flicker when the wall switch was touched. Last week the light (and fan) would not come on at all. I replaced the wall switch and still nothing. Thinking I fried the ceiling fan, I replaced that too. Still nothing. Using a multi-meter I checked and had power to the switch but not the ceiling wires. Do you have any troubleshooting help. Thanks.

Old 12-27-01, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is power to the switch, switch it on and see if there is power to the fan box.

Old 12-27-01, 03:27 PM
Visiting Guest
I checked with the switch on and off. No power.

Old 12-28-01, 04:13 AM
Visiting Guest
You might re-check your switch.

Switch "on" should show power on both leads. If only one side has power you have a bad switch.

Most likely you have a bad connection somewhere. Is there a ground (bare) wire in the circuit? You can measure from the Black wire to the bare ground wire to see if the white neutral is the fault. You should read power to both the bare and the white when it is right.

If you get no power to either wire at the fan then the black wire is suspect.

hope this helps

Old 12-28-01, 04:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I have three wires going to the switch. All of them are black.
One goes straight into the back of the switch, one goes on the upper post (to the internal switch) and one goes on the upper post (on the outside of the switch). I replaced the wires to the new switch exactly as they came off of the old switch.

Inside the switch box there is a bare wire, but it comes into the box and is not connected to anything.

There are actually three wire groups that come into the box. Each group has a black wire that goes to the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: