Adding A Light Fixture

Old 12-30-01, 10:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Adding A Light Fixture

I'm planning to add a light fixture to the ceiling of a room (there was not one there previously). There is a switch by the door that controls an outlet in the room. I have one set of wires coming into the switch (a black and white wire). My idea was to simply run the new light off that same switch, but when I connected the wires to the light, it would not work. Is is possible to connect the new light this way, or do I have to do it another way? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-01, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding something to a switch box is one of the most common foul-ups by DIYers. The problem is that the white wire in the switch box is not a neutral. If you're willing to make the receptacle unswitched, you can do this with a cable from the switch to the light. Otherwise you'll need a cable from the receptacle to the light.

To make the receptacle unswitched:[list=1][*]Shut off the breaker.[*]Remove the receptacle and throw it away.[*]Buy a new receptacle (the old receptacle has a tab removed that you need to be intact).[*]Disconnect the insulated wires in the back of the receptacle box. You won't need this wire nut at the receptacle.[*]Connect the two black wires to the two brass screws.[*]Connect the two white wires to the two silver screws.[*]Reattach the grounding as it was before.[*]Add a new cable from the switch box to the light.[*]At the switch, connect the two black wires to the brass screws on the switch.[*]Connect the two white wires to each other with a wire nut.[*]At the light, connect black to black and white to white and ground to ground.[/list=1]If you would rather leave the receptacle switched, then you need different directions. Post back for more help, or see this site.

Old 12-30-01, 03:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot! I will give it a try and let you know how it goes!

Old 12-31-01, 12:04 PM
Visiting Guest
I went to hook up the wires like you instructed on the receptacle, but when I pulled it out, it actually has 4 sets of wires coming into it. There are 2 white wires connected to the 2 silver screws and the black wires are all conntected together. Any advice on how I should hook this up?

Old 12-31-01, 08:10 PM
When you say four sets, you mean four black and four white?? If you provided information on all the connections, then nothing is hooked to the brass screws and therefore the receptacle must not work. Since I assume that this is not true, please provide the rest of the information.

Old 01-01-02, 04:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, there are 4 sets of wires (black and white). All the black wires come together and are connected to one brass screw and all the white come together to the silver screw. And, yes, the outlet does work. Thanks!b

Old 01-01-02, 04:20 AM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
As John said;
Turn off power.
At the outlet connect`all whites to whites, blacks to blacks.
Add a white pigtail and a black pigtail. Attach these to the outlet and the ground.
At the switch connect the two grounds, connect the two whites, blacks to the switch screws.
Hook light up as normal.
Does it work now? Yes.

Old 01-01-02, 10:44 AM
Visiting Guest
I have connected everything as per everyone's instructions. But, when I flip the switch, it blows the fuse. Here is how I have everything hooked up:

Receptacle:

* 4 sets of wires coming in
* connected all blacks with a pigtail and connected to one of the brass screws on the receptacle.
* connected all whites with a pigtail and connected to one of the silver screws on the receptable.

There is one silver and one brass screw left with nothing attached to it

black wires -----> X X <----------- white wires
brass screw silver screw

X X

Switch

* 1 set of wires coming in (apart from the light)
* connected black wire with black wire from light with a pigtail and conntected to black screw on switch
* connected white wire with white wire from light with a pigtail and connected to silver screw on switch

There is one silver screw left with nothing attached to it

white wires -------> X X
silver screw silver screw

black wires --------> X
black screw

Old 01-01-02, 01:17 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
At the switch.
Grounds together.
Whites together.
One black on each of the screws.

They way you did it is a dead short, when you flip the switch.

Old 01-02-02, 05:09 PM
Handyman is correct. The instructions he gave today are essentially the same as the original instructions I gave three days ago (except we didn't know then that you have four cables at the receptacle), and the same as the instructions he gave yesterday.

If only half of your receptacle used to be switched, then you'll still have a problem if you use the same receptacle (as my first post stated, you may need a new receptacle). If both halves of the receptacle used to be switched, then it's okay to use the old receptacle.

Note that the receptacle will no longer be switched, which is the only way this is ever going to work.

I am a bit concerned by your latest post about the number of screws on the switch. You seem to have a 3-way switch. Did you buy a new switch, or is this the switch that was there before?