Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about adding a smoke detector to existing hardwired circuit

Old 01-04-02, 04:56 PM
Visiting Guest

I currently have 8 BRK model 4120B smoke detectors wired together in my house. I need to add another detector to the circuit and I am not sure how to do it. I was told I need the same model, but I was wondering if anyone knows if First Alert models will work (as BRK is the same company)? Now for the wiring. What type of wire interconnects the detectors? Is it 14/3 ROMEX? Also, can I just tap into any detector and wire the new one in series by making a pigtail? I am not sure which of the current detectors is the one getting power from the main, but i think it's the one in my basement. That one happens to be the one I need to tap into with my additional detector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Old 01-04-02, 05:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, First Alert smoke detectors are compatable with BRK smoke detectors, but you can also still buy BRK (which are normally sold to contractors, where First Alert are normally sold to consumers). If you call First Alert, they can tell you exactly which First Alert model is compatable with your model of BRK or where to buy a BRK replacement.

Yes, 14/3 cable is the proper way to interconnect smoke detectors. The red wire is the interconnect. Black and white provide the power. You can tap into any of your smoke detectors to make the connection (but it's not a "series" connection).

Old 01-04-02, 06:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your help. Could you elaborate on how i wire the new smoke? I understand the red is the communication wire, the black is the hot, and the white the neutral and they need to be connected to the same, but when i run the 14/3 from the existing smoke to the new one, how do i make the connection at the existing smoke? is it just a pigtail? I guess my previous usage of the word "series" was incorrect/

Thank you again. And yes, I will let you know how the project turns out.

Mark

Old 01-05-02, 05:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
At the existing detector, you already have wire nuts connecting the wires. Just add your new wires to the wire nuts containing the like-colored wires. You may need larger wire nuts if the extra wire is too much for the existing wire nuts.

No pigtails will be required (although some people mistakenly use the word "pigtail" to refer to any connection made with wire nuts).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: