dimmer switch

Old 11-24-01, 02:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Hi -Low settings

HI everyone...
I was wondreing if someone would be able to help me understand what the HI/LOW settings and the diff setting on my furnace actually mean and what are the best settings for these. The furnace pre-heats the water before it goes into the hot water tank.
thanks for all your help...
mike

Old 01-08-02, 05:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy dimmer switch

I recently installed a dimmer switch in the dining room of my new home. the switch itself is on a panel with two other switches which control the front foyer and the upstairs landing. It appears that there is a circuit in series (I t'hink) that connects our kitchen light switch (on it's own panel), the dining room, and the front foyer. The upstairs landing switch is on it's own circuit.
The switch that we removed had two black wires(from the electrical box) which were attached inside the switch (we had to use a small sharp object to press a small button to release the wires). There was a third black wire that was connected to the switch around a screw. The dimmer switch had 2 black wires and one green wire (we assumed green was ground). We assumed that the wire that was attached to the screw on the original switch was also ground, so we attached it to the green wire.
Problem now is that the kitchen light will not work. The dimmer works just fine along with the foyer light.

I have no idea of how to fix this...any help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
MMAITRE
Canada

Old 01-08-02, 06:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turn off this breaker immediately.

Hopefully, you still remember where the wires were connected. Here's how to reconnect. Take the wire that was on the screw, along with the wire in the hole immediately adjacent to the screw, and attach them both to one wire on the dimmer. Attach the other black wire to the other wire on the dimmer.

The dimmer's green wire may be attached to any bare or green wire in the box (if any), or to the box itself (if the box is metal). If none of these are available, you may leave the green wire disconnected.

Count yourself very lucky to be alive. You had a 50/50 chance of electrifying the case of the dimmer and killing yourself. You lucked out in which of those two black wires you attached to the ground.

Never, never, attach a wire that isn't green or bare to a ground.

Old 01-08-02, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
John,
Thank you so much for your response. I had no idea the situation could be so dangerous...which only goes to show that we should follow some basic rules when doing our own electrical work. I'll never forget this...Thanx again!

What if we don't remember which wire was where? We know which one was around the screw, but the other two may get mixed up. Is there any way to test it? What are the implications if we get it wrong?

Old 01-08-02, 03:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shut off the breaker. Take the wire that was on the screw and either one of the other two black wires. Connect these two together to one of the wires on the dimmer. Connect the remaining black wire to the remaining wire on the dimmer.

Turn the breaker back on. Turn off the dimmer switch. Does the kitchen light still work. If so, you are done. If not, this means that you choose the wrong wire the first time. Shut the breaker back off. Now combine the wire that was on the screw to the black wire you didn't select the first time, and repeat the above.

One of these two ways should product the desired result.

Caveat: Many times, wiring by experimentation is dangerous. However, the procedure I gave above should be okay.

Old 01-14-02, 03:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking it worked!!!

John,

I would like to report that everything worked out beautifully!

We now have a functioning dimmer switch in the dining room, and a functioning light in the kitchen!

Thanx for all your help!

I'll be sure to refer to this site for all my home reno/repair needs.

Thanx again!
Michele

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: