Wiring a pair of duplex receptacles

Old 01-08-02, 01:40 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wiring a pair of duplex receptacles

I'd like to put a pair of duplex receptacles (Total = 4 outlets) in one doubles gang size box. There is one 12G/2 cable entering the box off a 20 Amp breaker. What is the best way to wire the 2 pairs of receceptacles.

Is it better to pigtail off both the black and white wires sending a black wire to the brass screw on each duplex receptacle(from the black pigtail)& a white wire to the silver screw on each duplex receptacle(from the white pigtail)?

OR

Is it better to connect the black to the brass of one receptacle & the white to the silver of the same receptacle, then off the remaining black of that receptacle connect a small piece of black wire to the brass screw of the second receptacle & off the remaining silver on the first receptacle connect a small piece of white wire to the silver screw of the second receptacle?(Basically the juice supplying the second receptacle passes through the first rather than in the other scenario where each receptacle is powered via pigtail directly off the main cable)

I pretty sure it would work either way but I have a feeling the first scenario is preferable. Any reason why one way might be preferable to the other. Thanks.

Old 01-08-02, 02:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference in these two approaches. Note that if you use the second approach, the current does not actually pass through the first fixture -- it goes through the tab on the outside of the fixture, which is plenty heavy enough to handle it. One advantage of the second approach is that it introduces less crowding in the box, since you don't need the wire nuts. There are people who agree with you however that the pigtail approach is better. I'm not one of them.

Old 01-08-02, 04:00 PM
B
Thanks

Helpful as always.

Old 01-09-02, 11:07 AM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Always pigtail.

Old 01-09-02, 12:36 PM
B
I know the general Feeling is to pigtail but why? If anything as John said there is less crowding in the box the other way.

Old 01-10-02, 08:36 AM
rhhjr
Visiting Guest
Screw connections sometimes vibrate loose over time. A proper pigtail connection will last until the cockroaches inherit the earth. That's why.

Old 01-10-02, 09:53 AM
P
Yah but the wire still has to be connected to the screw, which as you said will vibrate loose over time

Old 01-10-02, 10:10 AM
rhhjr
Visiting Guest
Screw connections can't be eliminated entirely, but it is desireable to minimize them when you can. In your application, pigtails would lower the screw connections from 6 to 4. In the case of using one receptacle to "feed through" to another, pigtails reduce screw connections from 4 to 2. In an entire house, that adds up. (I'm omitting the grounding conductor for simplicity).

Old 01-11-02, 12:06 AM
I think we discussed this some time ago, and if I recall, at least the white should be be pigtailed. The NEC says something about not interrupting the neutral leg by removing an outlet, but I can't find the reference.

Warren, where are you?

Old 01-11-02, 02:33 AM
J
abNORMal, that reference is only for multiwire circuits.

Old 01-11-02, 02:51 AM
Thanks John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: