Ceiling Fan support

Old 01-12-02, 05:03 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ceiling Fan support

I wish to hang a ceiling fan brace. In order to locate the ceiling fan in the center of the room, it will cause the electrical box to be placed much closer to one of the ceiling joists than the other. Does this matter? I'm guessing - ideally with the ceiling fan brace in place between the two joists the electrical box should be centered directly in the middle. Obviously this isn't always possible depending on where you want the fan to be situated in the room. I know being somewhat off center is no issue but what if you are very "off center" so that the electrical box is very close to one particular joist? Is there a minimum celarance necessary from the joists? or is the ceiling fan brace strong enough that its really not an issue? Thanks

Old 01-12-02, 07:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, the fan brace doesn't care if it's closer to one joist than the other. I see no support for your suggetion that exactly in the center between two joists would be in any way "ideal". You'll notice however, that the design of the fan brace will only allow you to be so close to the joist. The only "minimum clearance" is that forced on you by the design of the brace.

I agree with you that if the fan is not in the exact center of the room that nobody will ever notice.

If you plan to climb up into the attic anyway to do the wiring, it is cheaper, probably stronger, and about as easy to simply install a 2x4 cross piece between the two joists. This would save you the cost of the fan brace.

Or you could mount a pancake box directly to the bottom on the joist itself. In this manner, the fan attaches directly to the joist with long screws and has no attachment to the box at all. Most fans allow for either method of attachment.

Old 01-13-02, 04:46 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
John

Thanks as always for your for your feedback. I don't agree with my own suggestion & I realized it after I sent it. It really made no sense that the Electrical box should be centered in terms of it being "ideal". Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: