outlet.

Old 01-12-02, 05:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outlet.

Hello,

I want to installing an 240 voltage in my garage. I went to homedepot and find out that all the 3 wire outlet are for 120v/20A.

Since, the onlyway I can get the 240 voltages is from the extra 40amp circuit. My question is what should be the right outlet? and what is the right wire gauge for the 240v outlet?

Please help. I get robbed by electrian twice. I don't want to call them before I find out how thing should work.

Thanks
Tran

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-02, 03:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Tran

Usually on 240 V circuits the outlet you choose is one that matches the device you are going to plug in.

You could however just get an electric range outlet at your home depot. The better ones are 4 wire.

For a 40 amp circuit you will need #8 gauge wire. I would recommend 4 wire so that the ground wire is seperate from the neutral (white wire). It is much safer.

I hope your wire length to the garage is 100ft or less.

If this doesn't help try posting again.

good luck
geoela

Old 01-13-02, 12:15 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
What or why do you need a 220? This makes a big difference.

Old 01-13-02, 12:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Jxofaltrds. Unlike 120-volt receptacles, 240-volt receptacles are not general purpose. There are many different kinds of 240-volt receptacles and circuits, and a 240-volt receptacle is normally tailored to a specific use.