Crackling/Popping noise from outlet

Old 01-17-02, 09:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Crackling/Popping noise from outlet

Two of the standard wall outlets (both in the same room) in my condo have been making crackling/popping noises recently. I replaced both of the sockets hoping that would solve it, and while doing so noticed one of the outlets, which is on an interior wall, had a bit of moisture on it. The second one was dry, but I replaced it just the same. Now the second one, which was dry has started popping/crackling again.

I plan on calling a professional electrician as this is out my league, but what does it indicate and how serious is it? I'd love to have an idea as to what could be wrong before I have someone come look at it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-02, 10:28 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The crackling sound usually depicts a loose connection. When you replaced the receptacles did you inspect for signs of heating of the wires insulation where they were connected to the receptacles. I would suspect the connections have been damaged where the contact the receptacle especially if they were plugged into the back of the receptacles instead of connected to the screws. If the wires were damaged due to heating and your did not cut back the damaged wiring then you just connected a bad connection to a new receptacle and the heating will continue. If the receptacles are not back stabbed then I would inspect any wire nutting within that receptacle box for a loose connection and signs of heating.

A crackling sound usually depicts a loose connection. A loose connection is a special invitation to a house fire without and RSVP required. For your safety you should correct this problem quickly.

The moisture found on a receptacle is usually found in an outside wall where you hava warm and cold meeting causing condensation forming the moisture on the receptacle. On an inside wall I would suspect a leak of plumbing from a sink on the same wall or oppisite side of the wall or even a shower leaking into the wall.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 01-17-02, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any chance you have aluminum wire?