electical

Old 01-22-02, 06:51 PM
D.Poirier
Visiting Guest
Question electical

I have a three way switch to my ceiling fan/light right now. I want to make it a four way switch.The hot wire comes in to switch one (2wire)then up to the fan (three wire)then to the second switch(three wire). How and where can I run the wire for the third switch? Do I go in to the fan box or to one of the switches?I have the switch in the wall and wire up to the fan box(three wire).Do I need a four way switch or can I use all three switches?Just not sure of what wires to connect and to where?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-02, 06:56 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
"If" I understand you yes you can. No to connecting to the fan.
Please give more details on locations or how you want to do this.

Old 01-22-02, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The easiest way is to replace the second switch with a 4-way. Then run a 3-wire cable from this location to where you want the new switch, and put the 3-way switch there.

If this is inconvenient, there are other ways. In fact, you can wire this from any of the three current locations, whichever is easiest. However wiring from either the ceiling or the first switch box will require two 2-wire cables instead of the one 3-wire cable described above.

There are even more options than the above too.

Let us know what you want to do and we can provide exact connections, in case you haven't already figured them out from my hints.

Old 01-23-02, 06:26 PM
D.Poirier
Visiting Guest
I quess I could run three wire from the second switch through the basement up the wall to the third switch.I have the wire ran from the third switch to the fan but can't run it to the second or the first switch through the ceiling.I like fishing but not fishing walls.I don't remember how to connect the four way switch up. Thanks.

Old 01-23-02, 10:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

If you can the present wall switch from a 3 way to a 4 way and make the new distant switch a 3 way, that tells you you need 3 wires from the first wall switch to the new one.

A graphical answer is easier.
http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html