How do you connect to main lugs?

Old 01-24-02, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do you connect to main lugs?

Hi; I want to add some receptacles like 4 for tv and playstation useage in the lower level. I have a 100 amp service and the box is full of breakers. The house is 1248 sq ft , 4 bedroom, elect stove, elect dryer, air cond , freezer chest type, gas furnace, computer, 4-5 tv's, 2 vcrs, outside lights, only 2 overhead lights in house, 1, 5 bulb 60 watt, 1, 1 bulb 60 watt, 2, 60 watt in bathroom, the rest are table lamps 60 watt, if i connect to the main lugs, and add a 60 amp panel on the side, how do i do this or is this the right way to do it? Can i double up on something else?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-02, 05:58 AM
To add a subpanel, remove two breakers (one atop the other) from the main panel and move them to your new subpanel. Then put in a double breaker in the empty slots of the main (50 - 60 amp), to power your subpanel. There is much more to this, and you should search this forum on subpanel threads (disregard most outbuilding subpanels - the requirements differ).

You could instead change some of the existing breakers in the main to half size, which enable 2 breakers to occupy one slot, and free up slots to add your new breakers. For what you're adding, one breaker would be adequate.

Old 01-25-02, 07:34 AM
Can you only tell by clsing breakers?

Thanks; Being the main 100 amp is full, how do i know what I
have as load now(100amps) there is a water softener also and garage lights and door opener if i did not mention before, I was told to leave the kitchen, bathroom, furnace, air cond,tv's, and computer alone, don't add on,to any of these, however the computer is on a bedroom circuit and not designated alone,, would going onto the basement lights circuit be proper, 5 overheads, stair light, 1, 8'flourescent, these also are switch operated separately. 30 years of living in same place? thanks

Old 01-28-02, 05:09 AM
You got good advice to leave those circuits you named alone.

Adding 4 non-dedicated receptacles to the basement circuit would probably be OK, but if it were my situation, I'd swap the basement breaker with a half-size, add another half-size for my new circuit.
If you were to add to the basement circuit and blew the breaker, you'd have to navigate thru a dark basement to reset it.

If you do decide to use the basement circuit, find the first junction box from the breaker (this could be a light or a switch) and run your new circuit from there, being sure to connect to the power source before any switch. Use the same gauge wire as the source wire.