Electric heat to wall sconces?

Old 01-25-02, 10:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Electric heat to wall sconces?

Hi -
My home used to have electric baseboard heat that was controlled by little dials in each room. Now that the house is running on oil, all of the electric heat dials have been removed and the spaces are covered with blank faceplates. I would love to remove these faceplates and place electric wall sconces here and there. My question is this: can I use the existing wiring that used to feed the electric heat dials for the wall sconces? What should I look for? How would I start to approach this?
Thanks,
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-02, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
It's possible the electric-heat branch circuits were 220v 20 circuits which means you will have take a voltage reading at the outlet boxes. If the circuit is 220v you will have to replace the 2-pole breakers at the panel with single-pole 15amp. breakers. The Black branch-circuit conductor terminates on the breaker and the White terminates on the Neutral terminal bar. Also,at each outlet you will have to distiguish between the "Line" wires which will read a voltage and the "Load" wires which were connected to the base-board heaters and which you will not use.I suggest you make temporary connections with lamp sockets at all outlets where you will install a sconce before attempting a permanent fixture installation. When all the test lamps work---then proceed!! Good Luck!