Flexible Conduit Wiring

Old 01-26-02, 04:48 PM
M
MKM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flexible Conduit Wiring

Hi,

I need to wire the compressor unit on some new HVAC equipment for my basement. Its needs 20A 220V service. I ran NM 12-3 w/ground to the disconnect box. I need to run flexible conduit from the disconnect to the compressor, and I've never worked with conduit before.

I picked up a 6' kit, complete with the connectors, o-rings, etc. Installing it seems pretty simple. Here's my question. What do I pass through the conduit? Do I just run the 12/3 w/ground NM, white sheath and all? Or, am I supposed to strip the sheathing off? Or, do I need special wire for this application?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-26-02, 05:13 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can leave the sheath on and just run the cable through the conduit.

Old 01-26-02, 05:26 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
If you connect your flex directly to the disconnect and the compressor, you may not use NM cable. This would be a raceway within a raceway. If you stop the flex just short (about an inch) of the box and use bushings you may use NM in the flex.

Old 01-26-02, 06:20 PM
M
MKM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks...

I'm a tad bit confused about the raceway in the raceway bit. Let me clarify my application...

I'm running the NM from the load center, through the house, through the exterior wall, and into the back of the disconnect box ( the disc. box is mounted outside, on the siding, next to the compressor unit). The watertight flex conduit has nylon connectors. One side of the connector threads into the conduit. The other side is threaded, and inserts, with an o-ring, through the knockouts in the bottom of the disconnect box and compressor housing. Its secured with a nylon nut.
I'm confused about the bushing discussion.

I'm just trying to get the wire in place - the HVAC guy will make the connections. Personally, if I'm allowed to, I'd just like to take of the sheath and run the 3 wires + ground, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to.

As always, your help is appreciated.

...Mike

Old 01-26-02, 06:27 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Sounds like liquidtight. Use thhn wire. You can buy small amounts at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Old 01-26-02, 07:25 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Jxofaltrds,
Please cite the code section that says NM cable can't be installed in a raceway.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 01-26-02, 08:53 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
Don I can find no reference. This is one of those things I have done for years because the AHJ said it. It has been so long I do not remember if I ever question him or looked it up.
I stand corrected.
Mike

Old 01-27-02, 08:02 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Great example of the need for national proof of knowledge inspector certicication testing being passed before a person can be appointed as an AHJ !

John Nelso Another New Story for you;

I recently ran into a fire inspector legal guru advisor that ruled that a business could not open for business because they did not meet the fire exit rules of the UBC. The ruling as I heard it from that guru personally was that you must reduce the size of an existing 8'X8' cased opening serving as an emergency exit to the outside of the building that went straight into an open driveway from a 100' X 40' commercial building. In order for the fire inspector to approved the use of the building the owner would have to frame in that 8' X 8' cased opening to a 44" X 6' opening with a self closing door that has a quick release mounted on the inside of that new door so that people can quickly get the door open in case of an emergency.

Why in the world would anyone think that it would be safer to make a smaller opening where a door must be opened to get out in case of an emergency rather than an 8' x 8' open hole in the wall to the outside?

I still am trying to figure where the thinking was on that ruling, of a legal guru that represented as the legal advisor to a State Government.

Proof of passing test don't seem to work either, at times, common sense must come into play also.

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: