ceiling fan hums

Old 01-26-02, 06:36 PM
james gallagher
Visiting Guest
ceiling fan hums

my wife just bought me a ceiling fan for my bithday, and i put up and the light and fan work , but there is a loud hum in the fan motor or seems to be coming from there , is there a way of quiteing this or it is hooked up to a regular light switch white wire from fan to white house wiring, black from fan to black of house wiring, green from fan to ground, blue of fan which is for the light to the black, any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-02, 07:48 PM
I think you just need a different fan. If this is a quality fan (i.e., it costs more than $100), then perhaps you can just exchange it for a different one of the same type. Otherwise, you might need a different brand. I've had a lot of luck with Hunter, and they are moderately priced.

I know it will be a pain to put up a different fan. I recently hung three fans in the same spot until I got one I liked.

Old 01-27-02, 05:01 PM
james gallagher
Visiting Guest
fan fixed

well it is not exactly fixed but i got a replacement fan and it works smootly, it was a bad bearing in the fan motor, thanks for the help though, i appreciate it

Old 01-29-02, 02:02 PM
You said it is not completely fixed??? Is the new fan still making a humming noise??? Most of the time the humming noise is caused by the fan control. If you put a fully variable fan control on most fans it will cause the motor to hum. It adjusts the speed of the fan at a different amprage than it was preset to run at. If you use a control with set High, Medium and Low it should take care of the problem.
Daryl