Re-wiring during Re-modeling

Old 01-27-02, 05:03 PM
Falcon2dr
Visiting Guest
Post Re-wiring during Re-modeling

We are in the middle of a Re-model project. We have open wall's in some places, and have been under the floor in others. When we've come to a room to re-do, we've been changing out old romex with new 3 conductor wire, and usually going all the way to the new panel. The orig house Only had 4 Fuses for the whole thing. We got a New 200a Service Pnl put in and all that.....

What is a home owner allowed to do??? I had an electrician in here the other day, cause I have a lot to get done in a short period of time now, and I asked him if he could't just run the wires for a light, let's say, and I / we hook them up later and he said No... Now I know damn well people do this all the time... What Give's?? Do we really have to call an electrican every time we need to add a circuit breaker??

I'm pretty handy, and we've done a lot ourselves already... This has been an on going project for 2 yrs. On some of the old stuff he was talking about plating the outlet, or old light fixture.. To me that's not acceptable. I don't want to burry it, I want it GONE / REMOVED, and I know I can get to them or I'll do what ever it takes to do it.

Any reply is appreciated... Di

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-02, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In most places (mine included), a homeowner is allowed to do absolutely anything to their own house. In some areas, however, a homeowner has to pass a competency test before doing the work. In still other areas, only a licensed electrician can do any electrical work.

The only way to find out the rules in your area is to call your building department and ask.

Old 01-28-02, 11:50 AM
joelp
Visiting Guest
Most municipalities allow the homeowner to do his own work, provided that it is inspected prior to closing up the walls. This is for your own protection. If you were to later have an insurance claim, and it was electrically caused, you could be in for a shock of a different nature than electrical.