Wierd Electrical Problem

Old 01-28-02, 07:06 AM
Punisher
Visiting Guest
Question Wierd Electrical Problem

Ok, all of a sudden my bathroom lights/fan doesn't work. I get out my tester (It's just a light that lights up when there is juice) and test the connection in the switch. I got juce there. I take apart the light fixture and I get juice there. I put it back together and test the light sockets, I get juice there. I test the light bulbs somewhere else and they work. I put the bulbs back in the socket and they don't work. I test the sockets again, I get juice. I pull out the prongs in the fixture to make sure there is contact. Still don't work.

What do I do now?

Thanks

Old 01-28-02, 08:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you checking the voltage between the hot wire and the white wire at the fixture and switch? You might try looking for loose/bad neutral connections in the switch box and fan/light fixture.

Old 01-28-02, 08:32 AM
Punisher
Visiting Guest
I didn't check the actual voltage as far as how much. I did test it with my light tester thingy. I connected 1 to the black wire and the other to the white wire and it lit up telling me that their was juice, just don't know how much.

I did this at the switch, light fixture, and the light socket. All have juice.

Old 01-28-02, 09:10 AM
T
There could be a GFCI receptacle feeding the light/fan that's tripped. Is there a GFCI recptacle in the bathroom?
Is it tripped?

Old 01-28-02, 09:26 AM
Punisher
Visiting Guest
No, the GFCI circut is wired to the outlet on other wall. It still works. The switches are wired to a different breaker. Not sure what it is called but it has 2 little switches on it. I've turned them off and on to see if that helped but it didn't.

Old 01-28-02, 09:35 AM
J
If your tests were done correctly, then the only way to get a reading on the tester but no light from the bulb is that the voltage is too low when under load. This points to a poor connection somewhere. The only suggestion is to look for it. Move all connections using the push-in backstab connectors to the adjacent screws, and make sure all wirenuts are tight and that you can't pull the wires from them (pull on the wires one at a time).

Old 01-28-02, 09:40 AM
Punisher
Visiting Guest
Could the circut itself be going bad?

Old 01-28-02, 09:43 AM
J
When you say "the circuit" do you mean the circuit breaker? Breakers do go bad, but I've never heard of one failing in a way that could cause your symptoms.

If your hunt for a bad connection fails, then I suggest you reevaluate your testing procedure. It might be flawed in some way that we cannot identify remotely (even though everything you've said sounds good to me). I assume you're using one of those $2 circuit testers with a neon light -- is this true?

Old 01-28-02, 09:48 AM
Punisher
Visiting Guest
You got it, 2 bucks.

I did mean the circut breaker.

I have a friend that can lone me his voltage tester, but that won't be till tomorrow.

It's wierd how it went out. I was just in the bathroom a few mins before then when I got back in and turn on the lights, nothing. I don't get it. I even replaced the switches.

Old 01-28-02, 09:57 AM
J
A voltmeter will not allow you to detect low voltage under load, since you'll be using the voltmeter without a load. So your friend's voltmeter may not help in this situation, but it can't hurt any either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: