Wiring 4-way Light Switches

Old 01-28-02, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Wiring 4-way Light Switches

I'm troubleshooting and re-installing a 4-way light switch in an older home (circa 1920). It uses the old cloth-and-rubber wrapped 2-wire system in flexible steel BMX conduit, or in some places knob-and-tube.

Problem: One light fixture is controlled by switches from 3 different locations: (2) 3-way switches, and (1) 4-way switch. I've located the hot wires and the 2 travelers in both of the 3-way switch boxes. But, when using a continuity tester in the 4-way switch box, I get completed circuits from ANY two wires I touch!?! Also, one of the 3-way switches must always be in the "on" position for the other 2 switches to work.

Question: is there a simple fool-proof method for wiring and troubleshooting 4-way switches, similar to the one I use for installing 3-way switches (see below)?

3-way Light Switch Wiring Method

To install and troubleshoot for proper wiring between (2) 3-way switches (without a continual circuit or ground fault), I've always used the following method:

1. disconnect all 3 wires from both switches
2. with the circuit hot, use a light probe to find the hot wire (common) in one switch box; shut off power
3. attach the hot wire to the single screw (common terminal) for that switch
4. wrap the other two wires in that box (travelers) together
5. use a continuity tester to find a complete circuit among the 3 wires in the second switch box (they'll be the other ends of the travelers from the first box)
6. attach both sets of travelers to the 2 screws opposite each other on each switch
7. attach the remaining wire for the second switch (hot wire) to the single screw (common terminal) of that switch

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-02, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you just ask and answer your own question? Do you still need help? I'm confused.

Old 01-28-02, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look at the diagram attached for the concept, then test away.
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/sw...Animation.html