Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding 2nd light to existing switch and light configuration

Adding 2nd light to existing switch and light configuration

Old 01-31-02, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Adding 2nd light to existing switch and light configuration

I'd like to add an additional outdoor light fixture to existing switch and light wiring so both can be power from the same switch.

Switch > New Light > Existing Light

Thanks in advance,

Maurizio

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-02, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sure....
or
Switch > Existing Light > New Light

Old 02-01-02, 01:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Yeah b/c my light switch is inside on the left side of my slider and the light is on the right. So I'd like to tap into the existing run and loop in a new light for the left side as well.

I think I just answer my own question, haha!!
Do I just loop in my new light on the run?

Originally posted by HandyRon
Sure....
or
Switch > Existing Light > New Light

Old 02-01-02, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maurizio,

I don't think "loop in" is a term many of us are familiar with. Can you further describe what you mean by it.

Old 02-03-02, 07:38 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The only sure place you can get a second light fixture to operate with the first fixture is to tap to the black and white wires that connect to the first light fixture.

If you have power going into your light fixture and a switch leg going to the switch you must install a cable from the first light box to the second light box. There will be no cable that you can tap into. YOu must enter that light box to add your second light fixture.

If your power is going to the light switch then from the light switch to the light fixture most likely the only cable you could tap into is found just above the light switch. That cable will most likely not enter into the attic. That cable that you would have to tap into would most likely only run inside the wall up from the switch to the light box within that single stud space without leaving that stud space. Still it would be easier to install you new light fixture cable into the first light box.

Almost never will you find that cable available in the attic to tap into without entering the light box to make that connection.

Hope this helps

Wg