Attn: Ron or Wgoodrich :)

Old 12-31-01, 04:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Attn: Ron or Wgoodrich :)

Guys:

I tried to post a photo of those special molly clamps that the guy in the hardware store gave me, but it won't take. I can e-mail you a digital photo if you want.

Please advise.

He claims that they clip on the end of the box, and when you tighten the screw it holds it tight into the sheetrock.

1) Is this a Madison clamp as I have seen you guys refer to?
2) Is this a better or good solution to the problem? (I know I have to inspect the wiring and change the outlet but I don't like the box being loose in the wall like that).
3) Is it safe? It's made by "Steel City" and I have seen boxes by them too.

Thanks for your time. I'd like to tackle this in the not too distant future. New outlet at the same time as you advised.

Regards and Happy New Year.

Old 12-31-01, 09:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't know what a madison clamp is. But...
the modification you are doing to the box requires some creativity, since I don't believe they make a product specifically for this problem. It's kinda like having a '68 shelby with a bad exhaust pipe and they don't sell a replacement at the auto store. You work around it with what you can find.
If you think logically, that these molly clamps will do the trick, and not leave metal sticking into the interior of the box in any great quantity, then that is the product for you. You are physically supporting the box, it really is not an electrical problem. Try it!

Old 12-31-01, 03:29 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I used to call them battleships.

Old 01-02-02, 02:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thanks folks.

See my other post. I sent a digital image to WG of the clamps I got at the store.

I'll tackle that this weekend. Had to help a neighbor restore heat yesterday. See the other post for details.

Old 02-03-02, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Problem fixed

Thanks folks.

WG: You were right, the box is fine.

The problem was that the old outlet came apart in pieces and was making intermittent contact. When we pulled the wall plate off the outlet came apart in pieces. Lol.

Installed a new outlet, taped all the way around electrician's style for safety and put a new wallplate.

My friend has one of those "Go/No go" electrical testers to tell you if you wired it correctly, plus the outlet had instructions on the back.

Restored the power and the tester said we did it right .

Should be good to go. Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Hope I can return the favor someday!

Old 02-03-02, 09:09 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Joe, so glad to hear you came out well on your project. Love to see your results posted after your project was done. Gives us a good feeling that we were able to help someone.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 02-03-02, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You got it. Thanks again.

Mom wants a more decorative wall plate now . Her balliwick. Lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: