Dimmer switch gets HOT

Old 02-01-02, 03:59 AM
Visiting Guest
Dimmer switch gets HOT

I recently wired new lighting - (11) 65 watt cans, for a total of 715 watts. I used a 1000 watt dimmer switch, which gets real hot. Is this normal?

Old 02-01-02, 07:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All solid state dimmers get warm. It is part of the design. If it is soooooo hot, then there is a problem. check the manuf web site. This is from Lutron:
Q. YOUR CUSTOMERS MAY NOTICE THAT THEIR DIMMERS SOMETIMES FEEL WARM TO THE TOUCH. WHY DO DIMMERS GET WARM, AND IS THIS SAFE?
A. The technical explanation. During normal operation, solid-state dimmers generate heat. A solid-state dimmer is roughly 98% efficient-2% of the power is dissipates as heat, causing the dimmer to feel warm to the touch. The closer a dimmer is run to full output and the higher the load (watts) on the dimmer, the warmer it will feel.

Your customers need to know. This is perfectly normal and safe. Lutron dimmers are designed to the strictest UL safety standard, and can handle their full rated load (a 600 Watt dimmer can handle a full 600W of power*. Without overheating.

*Dimmers that are ganged together in a common wallbox may need to be derated. Consult the product instruction sheet or call the toll-free Lutron Hotline at (800) 523-9466 for more information about ganging and derating.

Old 02-01-02, 07:29 AM
J
jn
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is a lot of lights on one switch but it sounds like you have purchased the correct dimmer for the load. I would think it is normal for this dimmer to run hot under the load you described...but it shouldn't be "melt down" hot.
Ron has some good info here, and I totally agree with his findings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: