GFCI code question on placement

Old 01-30-02, 12:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI code question on placement

Hello,
I know I read it somewhere but can't find the information.I know the new NEC code change affected the GFCI's as far as placement is concerned,This is dealing with the distance you are allowed to put a GFCI above a water source.I would really appreciate any and all information on this subject,or even the information on what the old code requirements were.
Thank you in advance.

Old 01-30-02, 02:34 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Perhaps you are referring to the six-foot rule. It used to be that kitchen counter receptacles only had to be GFCI protected if they were within 6 feet (measured horizontally) of the edge of the sink. Now, all kitchen counter receptacles need to be protected.

I'm not sure about your "above a water source" comment.

There isn't simply one rule about receptacles and water. The rules are different for different situations. There are different rules for kitchens and wet bars and bathrooms. And different rules for indoors versus outdoor. And different rules for different kinds of structures. Perhaps if you tell us what you are planning, we can find the rule specific to your situation.

Old 01-30-02, 02:40 PM
A
Hello John,
I'm looking for the requirements on installation of a GFCI above a bath room sink.How many inches above the sink and or to the side of it?
Thank you very much for responding.

Old 01-30-02, 05:53 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
There is no minimum distance above a sink of any kind and there is no requirement to be to the side of a sink. If it is not in conflict with your mirror you are allowed by the NEC to place a GFI directly over any type of sink with no clearances required as long as that receptacle is GFI protected if in a bathroom, basement, kitchen, garage, or outside.

I personally would place it to the side and not over a sink to avoid a cord from draping into the water of the sink, but the Code does not require it.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 01-31-02, 10:47 AM
A
Smile

Hey,
Thanks for the help,the only info I found on it was in articles
210-52d 44o2.1 and 210-8a6 4201.3.That said it had to be within 3 ft of the sink,didn't see anything about limits on how close one could place one.
Thanks again

Old 02-01-02, 06:37 AM
rmelton
Visiting Guest
GFCI code question on placement - wet bar

It was mentioned in above post the code is different for wet bar - what is the distance? Thanks.

Old 02-01-02, 10:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There's a lot more to it than distance.

Wet bar: any receptacle within 5 feet of the sink and designed to serve the wet bar counter must be GFCI. But you don't need a receptacle at all if you don't want one.

Bathroom: you must have at least one receptacle within 3 feet of the sink, and it must be GFCI protected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: