Wire to big?

Old 02-02-02, 04:03 PM
JeepCJ820
Visiting Guest
Wire to big?

I need this one answered ASAP. I'm running a Sub panel from my house to my garage its approx. 75 feet away from the house, i was planning on putting a 60amp 240V breaker in the main panel. My GFs father has some Single AWG wire (about 600 feet of it) is it too thick of a wire to use? i was planning on using 6/3, but of course the other wire is free and my GF doesnt want me spending money. my main concern was how to make that thick wire fit into the opening of a breaker, her father told me to just cut it down... doesnt sound to safe to me....

-Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-02, 04:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use the free wire. If necessary, you can find connectors that can connect that wire to smaller wire that you can connect to the breaker.

Make sure the free wire is rated for the environment that you will be putting it in.

Old 02-02-02, 07:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here if this is single wire You'll have to run conduit and a ground wire to get it there. Is the wire copper or alummium? Come to think of it what size is it? Before you start cutting the thickness of a wire you should check with your local inspection as to whether they allow changing the physical diameter of a conductor, many areas will not allow it so better to check first. There are other ways to get around the size problem There are connectors to reduce the size of cables I believe they are called Macck connectors your local electrical supplier (not Home Depot) should have some if that is the way you want to go make sure the wire is proper for the installation and the grounding is secure.