receptacle quit working

Old 02-03-02, 10:49 AM
rreinhar
Visiting Guest
receptacle quit working

I'm doing some curcuit exploring in my basement, it's a recently purchased home about 25 hears old. Yesterday, I brushed up against a receptacle that's wired but sticking out a bit from the box. (ie no faceplate). There was a large spark. I later noticed that this receptacle no longer works, and another receptacle about 5 feet away does not work either. I don't know if the first receptacle (sparky) worked before, but the second one definitely did.
What happened? Will the first receptacle just need to be replaced?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-02, 11:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you brushed against this receptacle, you caused a momentary short. This tripped either the circuit breaker, or a GFCI somewhere protecting this circuit. Check for both.

First, carefully examine "sparky". Make sure the receptacle is well secured, connections are solid, the grounding wire isn't touching a screw, and it has a cover plate. Then push the circuit breaker hard to the off position and then hard to the on position. Then reset all GFCI receptacles in your house. Look at receptacles outdoors, in the garage, in all bathrooms, in the kitchen, and in all unfinished areas. Press all the "R" or "RESET" buttons.

If all this still fails (and you really looked hard for GFCI receptacles), then you may need to replace "sparky" with a new receptacle. You might consider a complete electrical inspection of your home by an electrician. That receptacle should not have been sticking out in the first place.

Old 02-06-02, 12:55 PM
rreinhar
Visiting Guest
I've replaced the receptacle. All connections are tight. grounding wire is placed well inside the back of the box. (and is screwed to the box).
Still no power to either receptacle. My testers doesn't seem to pick up any hot power at all. ( tried both a receptacle tester and a neon tester touching the hot and neutral wires).
Could the breaker be fried? Unfortunately, this happened before I mapped all my circuits out so I don't know if there's anything else on this circuit.

Old 02-06-02, 01:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I see you did not comment on my advice to look for GFCIs? Did you look for GFCIs? Or do you not know what a GFCI is?

Replacing the receptacle can't help if there is no power to the box.

The breaker could be fried, but it's not in the top ten of suspects.

Old 02-06-02, 05:29 PM
rreinhar
Visiting Guest
No, I know what GFCI's are and I can guarantee that there aren't any in the house.