Splicing in wire for ceiling fan

Old 02-03-02, 03:09 PM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
Splicing in wire for ceiling fan

I recently installed a new ceiling fan. I spliced in to the wiring that went to a switched outlet in our room. I installed a new box for the fan.

After a couple weeks I started hearing a humming sound coming from the ceiling, the fan and light were off. A couple days later the breaker kept tripping. When I went up in the attic, I found out the humming was the wiring that I spliced in. When I opened the box and moved on of the wires there was a pop and the breaker tripped. I undid all the connections and re did the splice. When I turned the breaker back on and checked it it was humming and smoking! I have since unhooked all wiring to the fan. I am not sure what I did wrong, but I damn near burnt my house down.

The one thing I am unsure of is the wire I purchsed to splice in. It is a little larger than what I was splicing in to. If any one has any advice I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will call a perfessional.

Old 02-03-02, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definitly call a pro.
For some suggestions, you will have to tell us much more about the install.
It seems that this would be best corrected with a visual inspection.

Old 02-03-02, 07:37 PM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
I thought the install was pretty basic, that's why I felt comfortable doing it myself. I simply cut the conduit and put in a T contector. There were three wires;, red, white, and orange. I cut all three and spliced in a group of wires (red, white, and orange) to run to the fan. I twisted all three ends of each wire together and put a cap on them. I ran the new wires to the box I installed and wired the fan according to the instructions.

Old 02-03-02, 07:50 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
BB please listen to Ron. Call a pro. We are not saying you are stupid. You must have done something wroug.

Friday I replaced 12" of burnt wire a homeowner worked on. It almost burnt their house down.

Old 02-04-02, 06:50 AM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
Will do. I was not offended by the comment.

Thanks.

Old 02-04-02, 06:52 AM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong would still be appreciated.

Old 02-04-02, 09:59 AM
It seems odd that there is red white and orange wires in the conduit. If the fan was just one on/off cirucit, then there would have been at least two insulated conductors (hot and neutral). What colors are the wires at the switch?

Old 02-04-02, 11:26 AM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
The wires at the switch are the same (red-hot, white-nuetral, orange-?) I followed the wires to each outlet in the room. The only one the orange was connected to was the switched outlet. I spliced into each of these and ran three wires to the fan.

The original wires in the house are a solid copper wire, so that is what I purchased. The only difference I noticed is that the wire I purchased to run to the fan is slightly thicker.

I have started a search from this site for a contractor to look at it, but it is annoying that I cannot figure it out.

Old 02-04-02, 12:56 PM
T
Ceiling fan mystery

Please let us know what happens on the problem. Does this fan come with a light also? Sounds like you have another "hot" lead hooked up that you don't need? You did the right thing calling on a contractor to help you with this......

Old 02-04-02, 02:25 PM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
The fan has a light. The way I installed it was the fan operated by a pull cord on the fan. The light was operated by a wall switch. Before I undid the wiring, they were both operational. The light worked from the switch and the fan worked from the pull cord regardless of the light being on/off. It was several weeks before the problem developed. The breaker kept tripping one night and I heard a humming noise coming from the ceiling with the fan and light off.

Old 02-09-02, 02:03 PM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
Thanks to those that offered advice. I had an electrician out today to take a look.

It appears that when a was pulling the wires through the conduit I scrapped the insulation off a section of the hot wire. Over time it began to rub against the metal conduit which was causing the problem. We replaced the wires running to the fan and I appear to be back in business.

Thanks again.

Old 02-09-02, 03:12 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You worry me a bit when you said you installed a Tee [condulet] and made splices within that tee. You are only allowed to make a splice in a condulet that has the cubic inch capacity marked in that condulet. I suspect that you are way over any box fill limits found in 314 limiting the number of current carrying conductors in a box. YOu must have a minimum of 2.25 cubic inch per current carrying conductor. You are talking of having 6 current carrying conductors in the Tee you installed. You would need 13.5 cubic inch in that tee. I doubt if the cubic inch is more than 6 inside that tee. This can not only overheat the conductors causing a fire hazard but also invite more wires being damaged. Sounds like a real tight fit to me.

Concerned

Wg

Old 02-15-02, 03:18 PM
bbutter
Visiting Guest
You are right. When I had the pro here, we changed out the Tee and put in a standard box with a cover. There is plenty of room in there know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: