"Stuck" Light Bulb

Old 02-11-02, 12:32 PM
jholland
Visiting Guest
"Stuck" Light Bulb

Help. I am trying to change the bulb in my ceiling fan but the bulb is stuck. I cannot turn it at all and am afraid to apply too much pressure and break the bulb. Any Hints?
Light Bulb Removed! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited by jholland; 02-11-02 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-11-02, 12:56 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keep twisting, but place something under the bulb to catch glass in case it breaks (wear thick gloves, too). If it breaks, you can use needlenose pliers to latch onto the now-exposed base and unscrew it.

Old 02-11-02, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Just make SURE the power is off before you grab the bulb innards with the needlenose!

Old 02-11-02, 06:29 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the bulb breaks cut a potato in half and force it over the opening and twist works every time and no damage to the socket.

Old 02-11-02, 06:47 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well, leave it to you dang Canucks! I've mangled many bulb sockets using needle-nose, and sometimes destroyed the luminaire with 'em. Knowing potatoes like I do I have to imagine that this works as well as you say it does. I'm impressed. I believe that the most simple solutions are the best, and this sounds like it! Jholland, try unscrewing the bulb as others described, but please wear safety glasses! And if it breaks I'd listen to gard for removing the broken one if it comes to that.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: