Converting 220 outlet to 110

Old 02-13-02, 01:02 PM
aa6vh
Visiting Guest
Converting 220 outlet to 110

I have a home built in 1997 in Southern California. It is stubbed for an air conditioner in the side yard. Since I live near the beach, I do not need air.

I want to use the air conditioner outlet (it currently has a plate covering it) as a 110 outlet. When I opened the plate, there are three wires (black, white, and ground, I think 8 gauge). They are not hot.

In the service panel, I found: A. A bunch of 12 gauge wires connected to circuit breakers (duh). B. One set of wires not connected. It is four 12 gauge wires (red, black, white, and ground). and C. Two very thick wires, white and black, and the same size as the outlet wires. They enter and exit the service panel area without stopping.

Questions:

1. Is it normal to use white and black as the 2 hot leads for a 220 outlet?

2. Is it probable that the builder strung the heavy wire from the air outlet, through the service panel, and then onto somewhere else for another 220 connection?

3. Any idea where that other end might be? (all of the normal appliances in this area use gas)

I do plan to make the new outlet a GFCI.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Old 02-13-02, 05:38 PM
LouieS
Visiting Guest
That makes no sense about the #8 wires not stopping at the panel. Are you sure they aren't stopping at a place you just can't see well? It is normal to use a 2 + ground cable for a 240V load and to re-color code the white wire as a hot conductor (tape it red).

Old 02-14-02, 08:04 AM
aa6vh
Visiting Guest
The two wires come through a hole in the bottom of the service panel and exits through a hole in the top. Unless they are connected to something behind the wall, they do not seem to be connected at all.

I am thinking the builder put those wires in, with the idea of cutting them when needed for a 220 circuit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: