subpanel installation

Old 02-14-02, 10:11 AM
tnash
Visiting Guest
subpanel installation

I am installing a sub-panel within a wall (surface mount) and would like to know how to manage the wires coming into the box. I assume that some type of anchoring needs to be done at or near the panel entrance for both the load wires and the power line coming in from the main panel.

The sub-panel is a 20/40 Murray and I will likely have close to 30 or so circuits running into it so stapling each to a stud within 8 inches of the panel seems a big out of the question - maybe not.

What can be used at or near the knock outs of the panel?
Can a single large strain-relief in the large knock out do the job - to code?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-02, 12:40 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Usually you have a foot or two above the panel to the top plate. It is common practice to use the romex connector where the romex leaves the panel into that stud space then use the hole in the top plate to secure the cable at the top. Then you are less than 4 1/2' allowing the romex connector and the hole through the top plate as the means of support leaving the cables to hange loose from each other in the foot or two space above the panel and below the top plate.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 02-14-02, 08:34 PM
tnash
Visiting Guest
Thanks WG,

A question about running the cables into/out of the panel. How many romex cables can go through a knock out? As many as can "reasonably" fit? Or is there a code limit for 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", etc. knock outs?