Arc fault breaker

Old 02-18-02, 09:12 PM
theupholsteryguy
Visiting Guest
Arc fault breaker

Now that I have installed a new 200 amp service and have all my wires nice and neat and pretty, I am told that I need to install an Arc Fault Circuit Breaker instead of a regular one which I've already put in for the bedroom outlets. Do to the position of the breaker in the panel, the neutral wire is not long enough to reach the breaker. Any other options here, other than putting in a new wire from the outlets? ( Changing positions of the breaker would cause one wire or the other to come up short.)

Old 02-19-02, 04:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you want to do this, then you would have to remove the cable out of the breaker box, splice all three conductors from the cable in a junction box, then enter the breaker box with the length you need.
There are not many jurisdictions that require the arc fault breaker yet, so if you don't really want to do this, then check with you local inspector to see if this portion of the 1999 NEC is being enforced at this time. In many areas they are working off the 1996 version, or excluding the Arc Fault portion of the 1999 and 2002 version.

Old 02-19-02, 09:08 AM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
If you want to add the AFCI breaker, there is no reason not to splice the wire with an approved conector in the panel. See 380-3(a) which sends you to 373-8.
Don(resqcapt19)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: