extractor fan

Old 02-19-02, 11:40 AM
dnrunin
Visiting Guest
extractor fan

I am installing a bathroom light /exhaust fan and there are three wires in the fan blue black and white.
I have only two wires comig from the switch black and white.
I have connected these with the blue unconnected but the light or fan does not work .
Do I need to connect the blue wire to some thing? or run another wire back to the switch and connect that
I have an on off switch at the moment but want to wire it for a swicth for the light and a switch for the fan in the same switch unit.

Last edited by dnrunin on 02-19-02 at 07:38

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-02, 12:00 PM
For the fan and light to work independently, you'll need another wire.

If you can, replace the 2-wire to the switch with a 3-wire. At the fixture, connect the red to blue, black to black and white to white. The switch location has the source of power. Connect the white from the fixture to the white power at the switch location.

Connect the black power to 2 6-inch pigtails. Connect one pigtail to either screw of one switch, the other to switch2. Connect the black from the fixture to the other screw of switch1. Connect the red from the fixture to the other screw of switch 2. Ground everything.

Old 02-21-02, 10:31 PM
If you currently only have a single switch box you will need to get a "duplex" switch. Follow the instructions that come with the switch and the advice given by abNORMal and you should be home free.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-02, 08:51 AM
dnrunin
Visiting Guest
extractor fan

I hae now bought a switch with two switches with three connections and have run another red wire giving me a red whit and black how do hese need to be conneceted to the switch?

Old 03-06-02, 04:49 AM
The switch you bought shares a common lead to which you should connect the hot from power. It should be marked as common or be a different color from the other 2 screws.

I originally said:
Connect the black power to 2 6-inch pigtails. Connect one pigtail to either screw of one switch, the other to switch2. Connect the black from the fixture to the other screw of switch1. Connect the red from the fixture to the other screw of switch 2.
You just eliminate the pigtail. It's only there to connect one hot wire to two screws.

Connect black power to the common screw. Connect the black from the fixture to either of the other screws of the switch. Connect the red from the fixture to the last screw of the switch.