breaker tripping when light bulb blows?

Old 02-24-02, 06:00 AM
dcunnin4
Visiting Guest
Unhappy breaker tripping when light bulb blows?

I installed an over-the-range microwave and wired it where the hood was wired, thus pushing the limit on that circuit. However we have learned to control that circuit and avoid tripping the breaker. Then one time recently when I turned on an overhead light (four 60-watt bulbs) on that same circuit, I heard 1 bulb burn out as the breaker tripped. Then yesterday 1 burned out and then a couple minutes later the breaker tripped. Both times, the microwave was not running and the only power being consumed in that circuit was from lights. What could be the problem? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-02, 10:28 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
You really need to install that microwave hood combo on a dedicated circuit with nothing else on the circuit. I would install a 20 amp 12/2wGrnd dedicated branch circuit to serve that microwave if it were mine.

I can't see a relevance between the light bulbs and the microwave other than loading that circuit to its max.

Best I got

Wg

Old 02-24-02, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a stab at it, but, maybe as the bulb blew, the filiment approached 0 ohms, and thus a momentary increase in current which tripped an "ify" breaker. If the micro ws not in use during the two events, then try to replace the breaker with an exact replacement, and see if it alleves the problem.

Old 02-24-02, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possibly there's a problem in the fixture. I suggest removing the fixture and connecting a "pig-tail" socket at the fixture box and see if the problem re-occurs. Inspect the insulation on the fixture wires. 240 watts of indandesent lite is an intense amount of heat in a fixture and may well burn the branch-circuit wires in the fixture box. Consider a flourescent re-placement fixture-more lite,less watts.