Fixture Burns Out Bulbs Prematurely

Old 02-24-02, 10:19 AM
jslawny
Visiting Guest
Fixture Burns Out Bulbs Prematurely

The previous owner of my home installed several ceiling fans cconnected to our old-fashioned knob & tube wiring. Oddly, the fixtures attached to these fans seem to blow out bulbs every few weeks.

I thought it was the motion of the fans, but we haven't run the fans since September. Also, every other ceiling fixture in the house seems to be okay -- just these darn fans.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-02, 10:41 AM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Try changing the type light bulb to a rough service light bulb if using a normal light bulb or a 130 volt candlabra bulb if you are using a candlabra style bulb. Also reduce the wattage rating of the light bulb to the allowed maximum wattage allowed on your light fixture. If you can't find the rating of the light fixture wattage then try reducing to 60 watt bulbs to start. If that solves your problem then you might try increasing to 100 watt bulbs. Seems to me most fan light fixtures are rated for 100 watt bulbs but 60 watts is a good place to see if it solves you problem Then play with the wattage size after that. Don't size the wattage higher than 100 watts. The rough service bulb is to resist the vibration of the fan running.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 02-24-02, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have had a similar problem. I was using the vibration-resistant fan bulbs, but they still had a very short life (I ruled out vibration too, since this is winter and we're not using the fan at all). There aren't a lot of choices in small bulbs to use in these tulip fixtures, so that limits the choices.

I investigated other bulbs, but most were too big to look good in these fixtures. My choices in fan bulbs were the 40-watt and the 60-wall fan bulbs. I am switching from 60 to 40. That may make a difference, since the heat buildup will be less. I'll let you know in a few months.

By the way, although some fan light kits that take regular bulbs do indeed allow 100 watt bulbs, most light kits that have three or four bulbs in glass tulips only allow a maximum of 60 watts.