Light Switches

Old 02-24-02, 08:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Light Switches

My home was built in 1980. I want to replace the light switches in the house. The old light switches are single pole switches with the black and white wires pushed into the back of the switch (in separate hole, but side by side at the top) and the ground wire in loose inside the box. I want to replace them with a switch that has three screws . Two gold and one green (also have holes to push wires in). I need to know which holes to place the black and white wire in and also if I need to place the copper wire to the green screw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-02, 06:53 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You must treat every switch individually. No one formula will work for them all, since it is not likely they are all wired the same.

If the switch makes internal connections (which is usually the case when a screw and adjacent hole are both used), you should move those to an external connection with a wire nut and a pigtail.

The first thing to do it to carefully look at the existing switch and make sure you fully understand it before disconnecting anything. Then it will be clear what to do. Then go to the next switch and start over again with a new analysis. A book on home wiring may help you understand the fundamentals, although it is unlikely that it will cover all the conditions you're likely to encounter.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-02, 07:01 AM
G
I would advice right from the start not to push wires into the back of receptacles there has been many instances of problems resulting from doing this.

Next this new switch make sure the "green" screw is really green and not a dark colored screw with the name COMMON printed beside it.

If the switch your dealing with is indeed a single pole switch with ground then the bare copper wire goes to the ground and the
white wire may go to the lower brass colored screw and the black goes to the top screw.

If the two brass screws are not one over the other get back to us before doing anything

Old 02-26-02, 04:56 AM
Gard, thank you for your reply.

I have looked closely at the new switch. It has two brass screws one on top of the other on one side and a green screw on the other. I do not know if this will help but it is Eagle Brand from Lowes.

So do you suggest that I wrap the wires around the screws instead of using the push method? All of the light switches and plug ins my home are in the push method, except the ground wire on the plug ins are wrap around the screw.

I want to do it the safest way. Please let me know what I need to do.

Old 02-26-02, 07:02 AM
G
I advise not to push the wires in the back of switches and receptacles (backstabbing) I have been on many service calls as a result of doing this. In many cases over time the wires can work loose then alsorts of strange things can happen including intermediate power to a circuit. It can be frustrating to track down when it happens.
Good luck let us know how things turn out

Old 02-26-02, 11:25 AM
P
"Pre-wire" the switches with leads using #14 THHN standed wire. For each single-pole switch wire 2 Black leads 8" long to the switch using,if possible, crimp lugs.If there's a single-pole connected to a Black and Red ,then use Black and Red leads.Do not use White.For a 3-way use 1 Black and 2 Reds, the Black ALWAYS connected to the "Common" terminal of the 3-way.Tape around the terminals to insulate them and then simply wire-nut the leads to the wires in the switch outlet boxes.The flexible wire makes for an "easy" fit for mounting the switch to the outlet box and the leads make future re-placements simple because you don't disturb the original wires. Good Luck!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: