Basement Electrical

Old 02-27-02, 05:59 AM
dotsonjc
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Electrical

I'm working on finishing my basement and am planning to add some electrical outlets along the wall. My question is do I have to drill through the ceiling joists to run the romex, or is it acceptable to simply staple the romex to the underside of the joist? I plan on installing a drop ceiling in this area of the basement.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-02, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In most cases this would be considered exposed as the panels can be removed easily. You would need to provide protection to the wires, it most likely would be less of a hassel to either bore holes or notch the wood. (Personally I'd bore the holes) Make sure the hole is at least 1 1/4" from the edge of the stud your drilling.

Old 03-01-02, 03:36 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
It is against Code to notch spanning lumber such as floor joists on the bottom side wich would be the tension side of that spanning lumber. Do not notch your floor joists on the bottom of that joist.

The NEC forbids you to clothes line across from floor joist to floo joist. You must either drill the floor joist but not in the middle third of the joists and at least the 1 1/4" from the edge of the joist or you must install running boards on the bottom of the joists and install your conductors on those running boards if you mount to the bottom of the joists.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 03-01-02, 05:20 PM
Drill holes through the joists. The holes must be at least 1-1/4" from the bottom edge of the joists. Keep the holes aligned with each other for ease of pulling the romex through them.

Old 03-01-02, 07:18 PM
The best hole in a joist is as small as feasible, dead center vertically, and as close as possible to a supported end of the joist. Such a hole has almost no effect on the strength of the joist. The farther you get from these three ideals, the more impact the hole has on the structural integrity.

A notch on the bottom of the joist is the worst possible way by far to run electrical cables.

Old 03-04-02, 04:29 AM
dotsonjc
Visiting Guest
Smile

My thanks to gard, Wgoodrich, thinman & John Nelson.

I completed running the electrical over this past weekend and drilling through the joists wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Now onto the insulation and drywall.

Thanks again!!!