Ceilng Fan

Old 02-27-02, 08:10 AM
lisawells
Visiting Guest
Wink HELP With 3-way Switch & Ceilng Fan

I just installed ceiling fans with lights throughout my house. Two of the fans, in the same room have 3-way switchs. When I changed the one switch to a 3-way the fan did not work independently of the lights and they are making a buzzing/humming noise. The 3-way switch has 2 red a black and a green. I put (from what my book says) Red from switch to black in wall, green to bare, red to red and black from switch to white in wall and it seems like the fan is working now independently from the light but it is still humming. Why the others don't hum. Do I have the switch in right.

Last edited by lisawells; 02-27-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-27-02, 12:20 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What was the basic wiring arrangement in the rom before you installed the fans.Were there 2 existing ceiling boxes both controlled from two switch locations which would be two 3-way switches?By "3-way" are you referring to the fan/lite control switch?---All DIY'ers when installing ceiling fans should first wire simple lamp sockets to the ceiling outlet boxes prior to hanging the fans.When the lamps operate correctly from the wall control switches then the fan can be hung. We'll need more info. to assist you with this problem. -----Thanks!

Old 02-28-02, 08:48 AM
lisawells
Visiting Guest
Yes, both lights in the room had 2 3-way switchs. Either switch worked both lights. When I installed the 3-way dimmer on the one switch, it had a white, black, red and bare. Although the bare was not hooked to the original switch. I would just like to be able to dim the lights to the ceiling fan and have the fan itself work from the chain on the speed I choose. Whenever I dim the lights the fan will slow down and I don't want that. I also don't know if this can be done. The original flip up switch had the black wire coming from the wall to the switch screw marked commom.

Thanx for any help you can give

Old 02-28-02, 01:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If there are only 2 wires- 1 Black and 1 White-between the wall switch and the ceiling boxes a dimmer is impractical because you are reducing the voltage to both the lamps and the fan motor.You'll need 3 wires switch-to-ceiling box(s) to "split" the fan and lite circuit.

Old 03-01-02, 09:11 AM
lisawells
Visiting Guest
1 black 1 white 1 red and 1 bare. The original switch was a 3-way

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: