relocating my interior main breaker panel


Old 03-04-02, 04:33 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
relocating my interior main breaker panel

I am attempting to turn a bedroom in my mobile home into a bathroom. the first thing i need to do is move the Breaker panel out of that room.

Currently outside under my meter is a 3 wire cable that runs from outside to the inside breaker panel.
oustside the cable is connected to 90amp dual breaker. 1 hot lead on each side of the breaker and then the neutral to the neautral bus. the ground bus is grounded to a ground rod. (this is a mobile home by the way.)

Can I run a new cable from the new breaker panel location and connect to the outside breakers the same way the existing cable is connected or is this existing setup totally wrong.

any infro would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-02, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You really need to talk to your local electrical inspector. Article 550 leaves the ability for a mobile home owner to work on the panel ruling up to the AHJ who is your local electrical inspector.

If your inspector allows you to move your panel in your mobile home then you must install a four wire feeder approved for the type installation. Direct buried would probably be URD four wire. In a conduit you still must install four insulated conductors but these conductors must be approved for a wet location.

Then the AHJ also has the option to require you to upgrade your pedistal to current codes also, he may rule that when you do this job you negate existing. HIs ruling and call.

550.23 says it is up to the AHJ.

That is your best shot at doing it right the first time. On this subject seldom does two AHJs rule the same.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: